How does 1 campaign work which targets zones that use and don’t use custom targeting?
Asked by: 1312 views API / Integration
How does one campaign work which targets zones that use and don’t use custom targeting?
Let’s use this example for a two-page web site, each page has qty-1 120×60 zone and:
Page 1 – does not using custom targeting.
Page 2 – does use custom targeting -> custom field #1.
Reference here for the process to add custom targeting to a campaign:
Can we use the identical zone code for page 1 and 2? [Constructed as explained here:
http://demo.renegadeinternet.com/advertpro/docs/html/manual/integration.html#custom and here: http://forums.renegadeinternet.com/showpost.php?p=2909&postcount=2 ]?
The rationale for this question is:
* We’d want to do this to eliminate creating different zone codes.
* Question B2.2 below is the second rationale.
B1 When the user views ‘Page 1’ is the media displayed on a random basis, say prioritized based on priority or chains methods?
B2 When the user views ‘Page 2’ is the media displayed either:
B2.1 First using custom targeting: when the campaign Custom Field # 1 data parameter matches the custom variable delivered to the ad server [“Custom targeting allows you to pass data to the ad server to be targeted.”] ? Then,
B2.2 Second, not using custom targeting: i.e. when there is no match between the parameter and the custom variable delivered to the ad server?
What we’re trying to achieve with our customers [and implement it as simply as possibly] is to tell them:
* On selected pages your ad will be displayed on a [custom] targeted basis, and
* Your ad will be displayed on a ROTS [run of the site] basis on:
- Pages which do not use custom targeting.
- Pages which do use custom targeting, but there is no match.
We’d rather create:
* One zone code that can do both of these options.
* One campaign that can do both of these options.
Than having to create two zone codes.